Sunday, December 7, 2014

A Fond Farewell

   Yesterday marked my 12th anniversary at ITT Technical Institute. It was a day that should have been filled with nothing but happiness at reaching a milestone that does not happen to very many people today. In fact, according to some US statistics, the average employee will stay with a company for only 4.6 years; I, obviously, beat the average. I look back at this time as having been a fantastic period doing something I love. Being an educator has fulfilled a deep desire inside me to help others learn, grow, and become excited about something.

   All told, these past twelve years have been pretty fantastic! This is primarily due to my coworkers and me being absolutely focused on one thing and that has been trying our best to do whatever it takes to help our students realize dreams that they thought were impossible. We have had the opportunity, together, to help literally thousands take their first step - perhaps become their family’s first son or daughter to do so – towards earning a post-secondary degree and enjoying all the benefits and responsibilities that comes with it. Additionally, I have seen hundreds of graduates get well-paying jobs and, a few, even earn the titles of vice-president, president, and CEO at their respective organizations. These successes feel very personal to me.

   Because of no fault of my own, as of today, I am no longer employed at ITT Tech; I am off to do something else. I have no clue what is in store for me next, but I know it will be great. That is why I wanted to take just a few moments to write down my thoughts and thank each and every past student and graduate who has made this crazy journey possible. Also, I want to challenge each of you to reach out and help others learn something new this holiday season and beyond. It feels good to share something you are passionate about with others.

   I wish you a very merry Christmas and a very rewarding new year. If you have an idea of what my next journey should be, please leave it in the comments section below. Maybe this could be the start of a new idea - crowd-based employment.

   Thanks again, and happy, happy!

    -Bill

1 comment:

  1. Good luck Mr Gano. I hope everything works out for the best. You will be missed at that school. I would like to thank you for everything that you have done. I learned a lot from you when I attended there. I'm sure that this goes for any student that had the pleasure of you being their teacher. If you ever need anything let me know.

    Ryan Stawinski.

    ReplyDelete